On Air Now
Heart Breakfast with Jamie Theakston and Amanda Holden 6:30am - 10am
26 October 2011, 10:21
People from the 28 homes evacuated in Swanage after a gas leak are being escorted back into their homes.
Around 100 people had to spend Tuesday night (25th October) at a rest centre set up in the local church hall.
Dorset Fire and Rescue were called to Victoria Avenue at 9.25am earlier that day. Purbeck District Council set up a rest centre in the United Reform Church Hall, High Street, Swanage for evacuated residents who were unable to stay with friends and family.
A spokesman said at the time:
"Following today’s gas leak in Victoria Road, Swanage, evacuated residents are being offered accommodation in a nearby rest centre.
"The Council has also made arrangements with local hotels for older residents and those with health concerns. Evacuated householders were chaperoned into their properties by gas board officials to gather overnight belongings.
The Women’s Royal Voluntary Service (WRVS) is providing food and drink for those unable to make alternative arrangements."
Steve Mackenzie, Chief Executive, Purbeck District Council, said:
“Repairs will be taking place overnight. We hope that residents will be able to return to their homes as soon as possible.”
All families are now being allowed back into their homes - police are escorting them for safety reasons and engineers are still doing small checks in homes to ensure no pockets of gas are left over.
All repair work is now complete and the road is fully open.