On Air Now
Heart's Feel Good Weekend with Zoe Hardman 6am - 10am
Bournemouth’s Trading Standards is warning local residents about purchasing amber teething necklaces for their young children.
The necklaces, which are designed to be worn by babies to sooth and calm them when they are teething, have been found to be a potential choking and strangulation hazard.
Trading Standards’ officers have found that the necklaces are being sold online through well-known auction websites as well as being sold by a number of local traders. Businesses based in Bournemouth have already been contacted by officers and advised to withdraw them from sale.
David Morton, Senior Trading Standards Officer, said:
“These particular necklaces have been withdrawn from the market in a number of European countries as a result of the safety issues. However, we know that they are still being produced in countries such as Lithuania and being sold via the internet through a number of well known and established websites.
“I would urge local residents to not purchase these necklaces and put a child’s safety at risk. We have examined these products and due to small parts they pose a potential choking hazard for small children. In addition, cords around the neck can catch on fixed objects.”