On Air Now
Heart's Feel Good Weekend with Zoe Hardman 9am - 12pm
A woman, who was sleeping as a fire involving gas cylinders broke out in a garage showroom beneath her flat, has escaped unhurt.
Fire crews and the Aerial Ladder Platform (ALP) from Westbourne were called to the fire on Kinson Road in Northbourne at 03:41(Monday 13 December) this morning.
Police closed the road while over 30 firemen worked to put it out.
The fire was in the workshop in the rear of the showroom, and also affected the domestic flat above the premises.
Fire Investigation Officer, Tim Spring, said:
“Crews worked well to extinguish the fire, which also involved gas cylinders. At least one car was involved in the workshop area but, due to the swift actions of the crews, the showroom has not been extensively affected.”
"Initial indications are that water from a build up of condensation has made its way into electric circuits of the workshop creating an earth leakage."