On Air Now
Heart Breakfast with Jamie Theakston and Lucy Horobin 6:30am - 10am
7 October 2010, 13:01 | Updated: 7 October 2010, 13:06
A ground breaking ceremony took place this morning at Stopsley Common to celebrate the start of the building works.
When it's finished in July 2012 facilities will include:
- 50m, eight lane pool with a world class diving facility and seating for 400 spectators
- 20m, five lane community pool with moveable floor
- large sports hall capable of hosting a wide range of sports
- 100 station, state of the art gym
- dance studio, spinning room and multipurpose activity room
- function room and cafe (that's also available to park users)
- safe, secure parking.
It should be finished in July 2012 - and the council say it'll help get more people involved in sport and activity - as well as improving the health and life expectancy of people in the town.
At the ceremony today were Rebecca Gilbertson, President, Bedfordshire Amateur Swimming Association, Lauren Hobbins, British Disability Swimmer together with Borough Council leader Councillor Hazel Simmons, Lord McKenzie of Luton and Pip Hesketh, General Manager of Luton Learning and Community Partnership.