Buckhurst Hill: Drug Dealer Guilty Of Murder

31 January 2012, 15:12 | Updated: 31 January 2012, 15:19

A drug dealer has been found guilty of murdering his friend whose dismembered body was found in a lake in Buckhurst Hill and in a garden in Loughton.

54-year-old Douglas Binet, of Hanson Drive in Loughton, was found guilty of murdering Anthony Whitefield, 47, between February 6 and March 31, 2011, at Chelmsford Crown Court today (Tuesday January 31st).

Mr Whitefield's severed arms were found in a lake off Roding Lane, Buckhurst Hill, while his torso and legs were discovered by police in Binet’s rear garden following his arrest on April 1st.

Essex PoliceHis right arm was discovered by a fisherman at the lake on March 31, while his left was found on April 2nd by the Essex Police Marine Unit.

Anthony Whitefield was reported missing by one of his daughters on February 7th, 2011.

Mr Whitefield's head has never been found.

Essex PoliceSenior Investigating Officer, DCI Lucy Robinson, said: "Tony Whitefield was a loving family man and devoted father who was killed and then horrifically dismembered by Douglas Binet.

"Mr Binet has failed to take responsibility for this despicable crime and has continued his deceit throughout this investigation.

"Having brutally cut Tony into pieces, he dumped parts of his body like rubbish. Sadly for Tony's family, his head has never been recovered, preventing them from having a proper funeral and fully understanding how Tony died.

"Mr Binet has refused to cooperate with locating the last part of Tony and detectives from the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate would be keen to hear from anyone who can assist us in bringing the last part of this case to a conclusion.

Essex Police"Finally I would like to pay tribute to Tony’s family who have conducted themselves with great dignity despite the situation they have found themselves in at the hands of Douglas Binet."

In a statement, Tony Whitefield's family, said: "We would like to say how extremely happy we are with the outcome of today’s verdict. It has been a very difficult year for all who knew dad and we are glad that justice has finally been served. Things will never be the same for us, but from now we can start to rebuild our lives. Tony was not just our father; he was a grandfather, a brother, a partner and a friend. He was truly loved and liked by all and was tragically taken from us.

Essex Police"Our greatest respect and thanks go to the whole team at Kent and Essex Police who have been incredibly supportive throughout the whole case. Unfortunately our father's head has never been found and the defendant refuses to tell us where our dad's head is. We would like to appeal to anyone who knows where it is so that we can lay our father to rest as a whole, as any normal human being deserves."

Douglas Binet was remanded in court custody prior to his sentencing at the same court on the afternoon of Thursday, February 2nd.