Devon Will Host 2015 Rugby World Cup Matches
Exeter's Sandy Park Stadium has been confirmed as one of 13 venues for the 2015 Rugby World Cup and will host 3 matches, tournament organisers announced today.
England will kick off the tournament at Twickenham on the evening of Friday September 18, 2015, against a team from the Oceania qualifying group, likely to be Fiji.
Coventry, Bristol, Derby, Southampton and Sunderland, who were on the original long list of venues, have all been omitted from the final list.
The world can now start planning for Rugby World Cup 2015. In less than two and a half years' time, we will be welcoming the world to England and to a celebration of rugby, played in a range of atmospheric stadiums right across the country.
Exeter Chiefs Chief Executive Tony Rowe announced that Sandy Park will host 3 matches for the 2015 Rugby World Cup.
(From Left to Right: Exeter Chiefs Fullback Jack Nowell, Exeter City Council leader Pete Edwards, Chief Exec of Exeter Chiefs Tony Rowe, Exeter Chiefs Coach Rob Baxter, Exeter Chiefs Prop Craig Mitchell)
To listen to our interview with Head Coach Rob Baxter and players Jack Nowell and Craig Mitchell click here
The 3 matches will be made up of the following:
Tue Sep 29 Tonga v Africa 1 (Pool C)
Wed Oct 7 Africa 1 v Europe 1 (Pool C) Sun Oct 11 Italy v Europe 2 (Pool D)
The 13 venues selected are:
- Twickenham (10 matches)
- Wembley Stadium (two matches)
- Olympic Stadium (five matches)
- Millennium Stadium, Cardiff (eight matches)
- Etihad Stadium, Manchester (one match)
- St James' Park, Newcastle (three matches)
- Elland Road, Leeds (two matches)
- King Power Stadium, Leicester (three matches)
- Villa Park, Birmingham (two matches)
- Kingsholm, Gloucester (four matches)
- Stadiummk, Milton Keynes (three matches)
- Amex Stadium, Brighton (two matches)
- Sandy Park, Exeter (three matches).
Rugby World Cup chairman Bernard Lapasset said the announcement was "an important milestone''.
Tickets for the 48-match tournament will go on sale next year.
SANDY PARK, EXETER. Capacity: 12,300.