Man Suffers Burns After Bucks Hospital Fire

1 June 2013, 11:21 | Updated: 1 June 2013, 11:24

Fire fighters from across parts of Buckinghamshire have been fighting a fire on the second floor of a five storey building at Stoke Mandeville Hospital.

Bucks Fire and Rescue say the fire took place in ward 4 on the second floor at around 20 past 4 this morning.

An 81 year-old man's suffered burns to both his hands, and he's been treated in A&E; three patients are being treated for smoke inhalation.

Seven appliances and crews attended, along with the Command and Control Unit from Aylesbury and a number of officers.

Firefighters used three jets, eight sets of breathing apparatus and two ventilation fans.

The ward was 20 per cent damaged by fire and completley smoke damaged.

There was also light smoke damage to ward 7 and the remainder of the second floor. 

The Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust have told Heart: "Everyone was accounted for, and that part of the hospital was evacuated and 53 patients were relocated elsewhere in the hospital; all staff and patients are safe. 
We have been contacting patient’s relatives throughout the morning and ask that, where possible, visitors to the wards affected (4, 5, 7) refrain from coming to the hospital at this point.
If relatives of patients on wards 4,5 and 7 are concerned and haven’t been contacted by the hospital, we ask that they call 01296 316189.
Our A&E department is currently running a reduced service. Please can patients consider all alternative services if they are unwell such as the minor injury and illnesses unit (MIIU) at Wycombe Hospital, NHS 111, GP out of hours and their local pharmacist."


Meanwhile, firefighters in Bletchley were called to a fire in a flat on the 14th floor of Mellish Court, Melrose Avenue.

Two fire engines and crews from Bletchley, three from Great Holm and one from Broughton attended.

Firefighters used two sets of breathing apparatus and ventilated the flat.

They led a man suffering from the effects of breathing in smoke to safety and handed him into the care of paramedics.