Cromer: Man Jailed After Trying To Stab Police Officer

26 February 2013, 17:29 | Updated: 26 February 2013, 17:37

A man who tried to stab a policeman in Cromer with two knives has been jailed for five years.

29-year-old Shane Denton of Westcliff Avenue in Cromer is starting a five year prison sentence after attempting to stab a police officer.

Sergeant Andy Smith's body armour prevented Shane Denton's knife from causing any injury during the incident on Tuesday 9 October 2012.

Denton, of Westcliff Avenue in the town, had been drinking heavily that evening. At around 8.30pm he threw a bottle of spirits at the window of the Police Station on Holt Road and Sgt Smith came out to speak to him. 

Sgt Smith said "As I approached him he apologised for what he was going to do – he then he pulled out two knives from his waistband and thrust one into my chest, which was fortunately protected by body armour. I stepped back withdrawing my baton, and he threw both knives at me from close range which I was able to duck."

Sgt Smith was able to restrain Denton and he was arrested and taken into custody. During interview he said he threw the bottle as he wanted to get arrested so he could see a family member in prison, and admitted trying to stab Sgt Smith with the knives that were later established to have come from a relative's house.

Denton was charged with attempted wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and was detained for court where he was remanded in custody. He admitted the offence in December and yesterday, Monday 25 February 2013, was sentenced to five years and four months in prison.

Sgt Smith said: "Denton drew me out of the Police Station to attack and hurt me. This came just days after two colleagues died in Manchester and it's fair to say officers were on edge following that tragic incident. I feel very fortunate that my body armour protected me from a wound which could have killed me.

"We train regularly for situations like this, but don't expect to be confronted with a man wielding two knives in Cromer. My latest session in unarmed defence was today, and we have used this incident to show other officers how to tackle an armed offender safely."

The attack was caught on CCTV: