Protest at Sizewell B

The protestors, who are wearing fish masks, gathered on Sizewell Approach Road just before 7am this morning. They are members of Stop Nuclear Power UK.

They chained themselves together at the entrance to the plant, stopping traffic from being able to pass this point. They are concerned about how close the plant is to the sea. Mell Harrison,39, Geldeston said "One of the reasons we are here today is to highlight the plans and dangers of storing radioactive waste at Sizewell until 2130."

Their concerns are the effect coastal erosion could have in later years on the storage of nuclear waste at Sizewell. They believe that the Nuclear Installations Inspectorate have not taken the possibility of flooding and coastal erosion at the Sizewell plants into proper consideration. Emma Bateman, 42, Lowestoft, added "We see coastal erosion happening along the Suffolk and Norfolk coast everyday and yet nuclear power stations are  built virtually on the beach."

EDF Energy who run the site at Sizewell told Heart: We respect the rights of individuals to peaceful protest. We are also sympathetic to the pressure these events can place on the local community with whom we have strong links."

"We believe strongly that low-carbon nuclear has a vital role in maintaining UK electricity supplies in the future. That view is backed by nearly two thirds (64%) of the British public, who say nuclear power is needed as part of a balanced energy source for the UK, according to a YouGov poll of more than 4,000 people last year. In the same poll only 11% of respondents disagreed that nuclear was needed."

"EDF Energy places its highest priority on the safety and security of the public, its staff, buildings and installations."

Police told Heart that no arrests were made and gave the following statement: "Police gave notice to around half a dozen protestors at Sizewell to move under section 69 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act. This directs them to leave the area and not return for three months or face arrest for the offence of aggravated trespass on private land.  The protestors have now left the site."