Man Jailed For Northampton Rape

9 April 2010, 13:46 | Updated: 9 April 2010, 13:52

Nhalnhoa Monyai appeared at Northampton Crown Court and was told he would serve at least four years before being considered for parole.

The 30 year old, of Perry Street, Northampton, picked the woman up in Northampton town centre in the early hours of Saturday, February 20 after she left NB's nightclub feeling unwell.

The court was told that the victim had had been talking on her mobile phone to a friend outside the nightclub trying to get help.  She unwittingly passed the phone to Monyai, who spoke to her friend saying: "Don't worry, I will bring her home safe."

He then took her to his BMW parked in St Peter's Way and drove to wasteland near a supermarket in Far Cotton, raping her three times and threatening to kill her.  The petite 22 year old victim had pretended to be unconcsious in the car to prevent further attacks, before Monyai dropped her back in the town centre two hours later.

The court heard that the phone line remained open throughout, and two of her friends heard the attack.

Monyai had earlier pleaded guilty to three offences of rape and one of false imprisonment at Northampton Crown Court. The court heard he had also tried to befriend another drunken woman in the town centre earlier in the night but was prevented from doing so by her friends.

Today [Friday] the South African asylum seeker - who has a pregnant girlfriend - was given an indeterminate sentence.  He will serve a minimum of four years in prison before being eligible for parole and will be deported at the end of his sentence. Judge Alexander QC described Monyai as a "predatory male with a distorted attitude towards women" who "posed a danger to the public."

Detective Sergeant Linzi Reid spoke to Heart outside court



The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) previously said it would investigate police action shortly before the incident happened.

A spokesman said CCTV showed between 2.30am and 3.30am several police officers were on patrol nearby after the woman left NBs nightclub on Bridge Street and members of the public approached officers apparently raising concerns for her