On Air Now
Heart Breakfast with Jamie Theakston and Amanda Holden 6:30am - 10am
25 April 2013, 12:27 | Updated: 25 April 2013, 15:45
A man from Peterborough has been jailed for at least six years for raping a 15 year old girl and attacking three other women.
23 year old John Hinton [pictured - right] carried out the attacks in the city in the early hours of the 5th June last year.
Hinton was today (Thursday) given an indeterminate sentence while appearing at Peterborough Crown Court via videolink.
An indeterminate sentence means he will not be released from prison until he is 'no longer considered a risk to the public'.
Hinton had previously pleaded guilty to all three attacks.
He had already attacked three women when he spotted a 15 year old girl on her own.
Hinton dragged her into Central Park and raped her.
He then walked the victim into the city centre where she was picked up by her father, before her parents later called police.
Police say that Hinton was disturbed by members of the public who had heard screams for help when carrying out three attacks on women beforehand.
Detective Sergeant Amerjit Singh of the Rape Investigation Team, who led the investigation said: "Hinton is a dangerous sexual predator who went out looking for victims to attack and rape.
He was not afraid to use violence against women and a young girl and his actions have deeply affected all of his victims that night.
I commend the bravery of the victims and witnesses who came forward.
These types of stranger attacks are extremely rare, however we would urge members of the public to be safe and aware of their surroundings when out at night.
We're pleased he has been brought to justice and is no longer posing a threat to members of the public."
Detective Constable Emma Gray was one of the Specially Trained Officers who worked with Hinton's victims throughout the investigation.
She said: "We can offer victims of sexual assault a range of support and advice to help them come to terms with their ordeal and bring prosecutions against offenders.
One of the victims in this case had initially been reluctant to assist with an investigation but was convinced after seeing the facilities we could offer at the Sexual Assault Referral Centre.
All of the victims showed great bravery in coming forward to police to give evidence against Hinton and we're pleased they now have justice and can start to move forward with their lives."
One of Hinton's victim's has released the following statement: "Straight after the incident I was very upset and I totally withdrew from family and friends.
I thought about what had happened to me a lot. I would get scared and start to cry. I find it very difficult to be on my own.
I had to sleep in the same room as my parents.
I was literally petrified and at times scared of my own shadow.
This has totally changed me.
I used to be really carefree. I don’t see myself as a normal teenager as I’m always on edge.
I’m stuck with the horrific memory of what that man did to me. How he beat me up and raped me for no reason."