Man 'Critical But Stable' After Portsmouth Guildhall Fall

14 November 2014, 12:58

A 21-year-old man remains in a 'critical but stable condition' in hospital with serious head injuries after falling from a balcony during a gig at Portsmouth Guildhall.

American punk band A Day To Remember had been onstage for about 30 minutes when it happened, at about 10pm on Wednesday night (12 November).

Guildhall bosses say they're conducting an internal investigation. Police say it's not being treated as suspicious.

Fans at the concert said the band stopped playing immediately and it was announced that the concert was over, while barriers were put around the injured man who was attended to by St John Ambulance personnel until paramedics arrived.

A Portsmouth Guildhall spokesperson said:

"Further to the incident involving a young man who sustained injuries whilst attending ‘A Day to Remember’ concert on Wednesday 12th November, we have been advised that he is in a critical but stable condition.  

"The management of the Guildhall have been advised by police that they are satisfied with the initial response by staff, security and medics on the night and that they are not pursuing a criminal investigation.

"The Portsmouth Cultural Trust who manage the Guildhall are conducting their own internal investigation which is standard procedure following any serious incident."

A Day To Remember posted on Twitter: ``Our thoughts are w/ the person who was injured at the show tonight in Portsmouth. Sorry we had to cut the set short due to the circumstances''

One fan at the event, Karl Braham, also posted: ``Seeing the guy fall at @whereisADTR can kinda shake you up hope the guy is ok.''

Some fans suggested on Twitter that the man had jumped from the balcony and a police spokesman said they were carrying out inquiries to establish the circumstances surrounding the fall.

A Hampshire police spokesman said:

``Hampshire Constabulary was called at just after 10.15pm on Wednesday, November 12, to a report of a man seriously injured at Portsmouth Guildhall.

``The venue was evacuated to allow officers to take statements and establish what happened. The incident is not being treated as suspicious and no witness appeal is required at this time.

``A 21-year-old man from Southsea was taken to Southampton General Hospital for treatment where he remains in a critical condition.''

A South Central Ambulance Service spokeswoman said:

``We were called at 10.13pm with a report that a 25-year-old male had fallen from a balcony. We sent a response car and an ambulance.

"His condition was serious and he was taken to Southampton General Hospital.''