Soldier Jailed For Jogger Assault

20 January 2011, 13:27 | Updated: 20 January 2011, 13:29

John Bossuot, 39, of Colwell Road, Portsmouth, was found guilty at Portsmouth Crown Court of grievous bodily harm on December 1, 2010.

He assaulted Anthony Sims, 37, who was out jogging near Tipner Lake, on August 12, 2009.

On Monday (January 17) Bossuot was sentenced to nine years in prison. It brings to a conclusion a second trial in the case after a jury last year was unable to reach a verdict.

Detective Constable Pete Bambury from Portsmouth CID said: “This was a very nasty but rare incident which nonetheless left the victim with brain damage

 “It’s taken us a year and a half since to get this point, but I’m pleased Bossuot has been brought to justice.

 “Bossuot claimed that Anthony Sims had pushed a boy off his bike and says he acted in self-defence. The witnesses and the forensics proved otherwise.

“He walked a quarter of a mile to find his victim. It was a calculated, unprovoked assault.

“Our investigation has been thorough and protracted including visits to the site and supporting the witnesses throughout the court process.

 “One of the key elements was the testimony from the independent child witness, a boy who saw the horrific attack and found Anthony. It must have been a traumatic experience for him and just as difficult for him to present his evidence in court.

“I’d like to thank all those involved in bringing Bossuot to justice, particularly Anthony Sims’s family. Not only have they sat through two three-week trials, they’ve also had to listen to claims that it was their son who provoked the assault.

“The brain damage Anthony suffered as a result of the attack means he will require full-time care for the rest of his life. He’s not been able to speak since and therefore has never had the opportunity to personally defend his reputation.

 “At no time has Bossuot said sorry or shown remorse for his actions. He left Anthony for dead and this could have been a very different case had he not been found.”