Lowestoft Men Jailed For 22 Years For Aggravated Burglary
9 May 2013, 18:43
Two men from Lowestoft have been jailed for a total of 22 years after an aggravated burglary where two women were left seriously injured.
Two men have been jailed for a total of more than 22 years for their involvement in an aggravated burglary at a home in Cambridge Road in Lowestoft in the early hours of Monday 27 August last year where two women were seriously injured.
Leslie Colvin, 31, of London Road South in the town, was found guilty of aggravated burglary and two counts of GBH after an 11-day trial at Ipswich Crown Court in early March.
Alan Harwood, 31, of High Street, Lowestoft, pleaded guilty to the offences as the trial was about to start.
On Thursday 9 May, both appeared at Ipswich Crown Court for sentencing with Colvin being jailed for 14 years and Harwood eight years and nine months.
Both were told they would have to serve two thirds of their sentence before being eligible for parole and both were given extended licence periods - five years for Colvin and three years six months for Harwood.
The court heard that police had been called to the mid-terrace home in Cambridge Road around 2.40am by a member of the public who had heard a disturbance at the address.
Officers found the front door smashed in and then discovered a 47-year-old woman and a 28-year-old woman, both with serious injuries, in a back room at the property.
Colvin and Harwood had forced their way into the home and viciously assaulted both women. The 47-year-old had been repeatedly struck around the head and the younger woman struck a number of times with a crowbar.
Gold jewellery and a handbag were taken before both men left via the front door.
The 47-year-old was left with life threatening injuries including a fractured skull and a bleed on the brain, while the 28-year-old sustained a broken arm and head wounds. Both were initially taken to the James Paget hospital but the 47-year-old was later transferred to Addenbrookes.
Police began the hunt for the offenders and Harwood was arrested a day later on August 28 while Colvin, who was known to the women, was arrested on September 6 after being circulated as wanted for the crime.
Detective Chief Inspector Steve Mattin, senior investigating officer in the case, said he was pleased with the outcome: “This was a savage attack on two defenceless women in their own home and, while the incident was not random, Colvin and Harwood clearly intended to cause their victims substantial harm. As we have said previously it was only due to luck and the skill of medical staff that the 47-year-old woman survived.
“Incidents of this nature are fortunately rare but the sentences passed today show that when they do occur the perpetrators can expect substantial prison terms.
“We believe this sends a message that such violence will not be tolerated and stands as warning to others contemplating similar acts.”