Suffolk: Convicted Murderer Escaped From Another Prison

14 August 2013, 10:38 | Updated: 14 August 2013, 12:05

A convicted murderer who walked out of Suffolk's open prison last summer has escaped from another jail.

Paul Flint, who was jailed for murder and burglary in 1990, failed to return to Hollesley Bay prison in Suffolk, on 2nd June last year. He'd been released on temporary licence.

He was arrested five days later in the Bedminster area of Bristol by police but the 48-year-old walked out of Ford Prison in West Sussex on 1st July this year. Detectives now believe he’s gone on to burgle several homes. 

The break-ins happened in Granville Road, Hove, on 8th July, Cross Street, Hove, on 15th July, and Dean Street, Brighton, on 5th August. Items stolen included more than £2,500 in cash, a wallet and a Sony laptop.

Flint is black, 5ft 11in and stocky. He has black greying hair, wears glasses and has an English accent.

Detective Inspector Dave Richards, from Sussex Police, said: "We think Flint is likely to commit more crime unless he is arrested so I would urge anyone that sees him to contact us immediately. Dial 999 but do not approach him.''

A Ministry of Justice spokeswoman said all detainees placed in open prisons were 'rigorously risk-assessed' before being placed in the category D prisons.

She said: "The level of absconding from open prisons in 2012/13 was the second lowest since records began.

"Absconds are still 13% lower under this Government. We are not complacent about this issue and are looking at ways in which the risk of absconding can be reduced further.

"We are committed to ensuring that risk to the public is minimised. All those located in open conditions have been rigorously risk assessed and categorised as being of low risk to the public.''

Last weekend, murderer Daniel Rosenthal, who has paranoid schizophrenia, disappeared after being allowed to go on an unsupervised walk around the gardens at the low-security Southfield Hospital at Tatchbury Mount, Totton, Hampshire.

The 58-year-old, who was jailed for murdering his mother in 1981, was not located for almost 24 hours.