Basingstoke: Teens Bailed Over Murder

4 July 2014, 07:16 | Updated: 4 July 2014, 07:35

Two teenagers arrested on suspicion of murder following the death of an 18-year-old man have been released.

The victim, named locally as 18-year-old Jay Benton, was found in cardiac arrest at a property in Frescade Crescent, Basingstoke, Hampshire, on Wednesday afternoon.

He was taken to North Hampshire Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

A 14-year-old girl and a 16-year-old boy from Basingstoke were released on bail last night until October 29, Hampshire Police said.

The force's major investigation team has launched an investigation into the teenager's death, codenamed Operation Plate.

Detective Inspector Ben Chivers of Basingstoke CID said: "At this time, the cause of death remains unknown and therefore, while we continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding the incident, we are treating the death as suspicious.

"The man who died and the two people who were arrested were known to one another and there is no wider risk to members of the public.

"A team of officers has been conducting house-to-house inquiries in the area today and the investigation is ongoing.

"I would like to thank members of the public for their understanding and assistance at this time and encourage anyone with any further information to come forward.''

A South Central Ambulance Service spokesman said two ambulances attended the scene after receiving a report of a man with a possible head injury.

Friends have spoken of their shock after Mr Benton's death.

Roger Michaelson wrote on Twitter: ``RIP Jay Benton. He was just one of them guys that you can instantly get along with. Thoughts are with mates and his family x''

Catherine Royle said: "Literally can't believe it. Rest in peace Jay Benton.''

Ciara Finan posted: "I just remember his cheeky grin always getting into trouble. So, so sad.''

Stanley Bird, 72, who lives in Frescade Crescent, told the Basingstoke Gazette: "Things like this do not happen in Frescade Crescent. It is a very quiet area. We have all been here for 30 years or more. It's a nice area and people do not want to move out. It's a shock to the system.''

A post-mortem examination has been conducted by a Home Office pathologist but the cause of death is yet to be determined. Further forensic examinations will take place.

Police said they were speaking to Mr Benton's next of kin and appealed to anyone with information to call them on 101.