Brize Norton Boy Dies After Shock

14 October 2011, 09:31 | Updated: 14 October 2011, 09:46

It's thought a 17-year-old boy died after the cherry picker he was working in hit overhead power cables.

At 3.38pm yesterday, ambulance crews were called to a disused quarry in Shilton Lane, Brize Norton, Oxfordshire, after receiving a report that a boy had received an electric shock.

A spokesman for the South Central Ambulance Service said it was understood the teenager had been working on a cherry picker which had come into contact with the power cables:

"The casualty suffered a cardiac arrest at the scene and was conveyed by air ambulance to the JR2 Hospital in Oxford.''

A Thames Valley Police spokeswoman said:

"Officers were called to a property in Shilton Lane at 3.50pm following reports that a 17-year-old boy suffered serious injuries after suffering a suspected electric shock.

"He was conveyed to the JR2 Hospital but was pronounced dead.

"The matter has been passed to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) who will be investigating."

The HSE have told Heart they are aware of the incident and are assisting police.