Granddaughter sentenced

A woman has today been sentenced to 22 years in prison after pleading guilty to the murder of her grandmother.

Sheila Jones, from Norton Canes, today entered a guilty plea to the charge of murder, following the death of 92-year old Daisy Myring from Brownhills, Walsall, earlier this year.

Jones, aged 36, was today due to begin a trial at Wolverhampton Crown Court, however a plea to the charge of murder was accepted by the court.

Daisy, a frail and partially blind 92-year-old, was found dead at her home in Albion Road, Brownhills on Tuesday 31 May 2011.

A post mortem showed she had died as a result of blunt trauma to her head and body. A police investigation was launched and Jones was arrested by detectives in June this year.

Officers believe Jones, who was also Daisy's carer, had been stealing money from her grandmother and Daisy had discovered the theft, resulting in her being beaten.

DI Simon Astle from Force CID said:

"We welcome today's sentencing. This has been a tragic case, made even more poignant by the fact that Daisy was killed by her own granddaughter, who she trusted. e believe the motive for this crime was greed, the money we believe was stolen from Daisy was frittered away by Jones.

Officers believe that Daisy died after finding out her granddaughter, who was also her supposed carer, had been stealing from her and she was then brutally attacked in her own home as a result.

Daisy was 92-years-old, partially blind and extremely frail and was dearly loved by her family and all who came into contact for her. Our thoughts are with the family at this time."

On behalf of Daisy's family, grandson David Worrall, read the following statement after this afternoon's court appearance:

 "We are delighted with the outcome at court today, that Sheila Jones has pleaded guilty to the senseless murder of my grandmother, Daisy Myring.

 "The last few months have been a nightmare for me and all other members of our family. Daisy meant the world to all of us and no sentence will ever be able to bring her back. She was a kind and generous lady and will be sorely missed by her family and everyone that knew her.

We now ask for some time to be able to come to terms with what has happened today and get on with our lives as best we can.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank the police for bringing this case to a speedy conclusion and to thank all members of the press and general public for their co-operation, and our friends and other relatives for their support during this traumatic time."