Liver transplant success after crash

A surgeon has been speaking about the transplant operation he carried out using a liver which was recovered from a private jet that crashed at Birmingham Aiport

Surgeon Simon Bramhall managed to carry out the operation successfully and the woman's said to be recovering well

The light aircraft came down on Friday the 19th November. and burst into flames. Emergency crews managed to get the donor organ to the patient at the QE hospital.

Two men on board the light aircraft were injured, one critically, when the plane crash-landed on the tarmac in foggy conditions.

West Midlands Police spokesman said: "We were able very quickly - with the transplant service - to escort the ambulance from here to the hospital the organ was going to."

It is believed that the transplant operation went ahead shortly after the liver arrived.

It also emerged a pilot from the Warwickshire and Northamptonshire Air Ambulance (WNAA) entered the burning jet to cut its fuel supply after the crash at about 3.30pm.

"The Warwickshire and Northamptonshire Air Ambulance pilot bravely entered the burning wreckage, using his aviation and technical knowledge to locate and cut the fuel supply to the engine and make the patient more accessible to the fire service," the WNAA spokesman said.

The pilot of the Cessna, a 58-year-old man, was trapped in the wreckage, suffering from multiple injuries, and was airlifted to hospital.

A second man was treated at the scene for flash burns to his body and a back injury.

The man, believed to be in his 30s, was immobilised using a spinal board and neck collar before being conveyed via land ambulance to Heartlands Hospital .

The airport is now open after the incident caused widespread disruption to travellers that prompted gridlock on roads surrounding the airport and halted all flights.

However, passengers are still being advised to check with their airline as some flights may be subject to delay or cancellation.

Dominic Tolley, director of air operations and clinical services for WNAA, said of the incident: "This certainly was a challenging mission for all the emergency services involved and a good team effort.

"The flying conditions were difficult due to the inclement weather.

"However, our skilled pilot did a sterling job in not only ensuring that the WNAA crew arrived at the scene swiftly and safely, but in aiding the fire and rescue services and the extrication of the light aircraft pilot."

An air accident investigation is expected to be launched into the crash.