Three Jailed For Violent Burglary

27 January 2015, 09:41

A mum and son from Stevenage have been jailed after the man's grandfather was badly hurt in a violent burglary last year.

Two men broke into the house of an 83 year-old man on Penton Drive at around 12.30am on Tuesday, 13 May last year, looking for £4,000 stored in a wardrobe.

The victim was woken up by the break-in and, fearing intruders, armed himself with a decorative knife.

He was then confronted by the men - including one who was his grandson - who disarmed him, assualted him with the knife and pushed him down the stairs. The offenders then made-off empty handed and fled to Stevenage.

The victim was found lying at the bottom of the stairs with serious injuries by a neighbour who had heard him call for help. He was taken to hospital a treated for multiple cuts to his scalp and face, a stab wound to his chest, the loss of a finger, a dislocated shoulder and facial fractures.

21 year-old Jack Sibley from Jessop Road in Stevenage - who was the victim's grandson - was jailed for 19 years for GBH, 10 years for conspiracy to commit robbery, 2½ years for conspiracy to commit burglary and two sentences of 18 months for perverting the course of justice. All sentences are to run concurrently.

Another man - Warren Reid - was given 19 years and 9 months for the GBH, 10 years for conspiracy to commit robbery, 2½ years for conspiracy to commit burglary and 27 months for perverting the course of justice. His sentences will also run concurrently.

Jack Sibley's mother, Lorraine Sibley, aged 48 and of Jessop Road, Stevenage was found guilty of perverting the course of justice, as she attempted to cover for her son by claiming that the injuries were sustained after he fell on some broken glass at their home. She was sentenced to 12 months for perverting the course of justice.

The knife used in the burglary was later found dumped in Great Wymondley.

Detective Sergeant Jon Leak from Operation Manhunt said: "The victim's injuries show a brutal and sustained attack on him. He has been left with life changing injuries but more importantly the psychological trauma of the events will stay with him for life.

"At the time of the offence Mr Sibley had no idea who the two offenders were and was shocked to learn of their identity.

"Of all my years in policing this case has been particularly shocking, not only because of the pre-planning that Sibley did to burgle his own grandfather, including pre-visits to the property, but also the sheer viciousness of the attack on his own family member and leaving him for dead.  I'd reassure people that these types of incidents do not happen very often in Hertfordshire.

"I am pleased with these convictions and the sentences reflect the gravity of the men's' actions that day. Without a doubt these great results were achieved due to the strong evidence gathered by detectives in Operation Manhunt in the planning, execution and aftermath of the offence."