Folkestone: Doorman Jailed

4 June 2014, 14:08 | Updated: 4 June 2014, 14:13

A 36 year old bouncer has been jailed for six years for the manslaughter of a man attending a Christmas work party.

Brent Wright was working as a member of a security firm employed to provide door staff for a SAGA work party at the Leas Clffe Hall in Folkestone on 13 December, 2012.
The policy at the venue had stipulated no re-admittance for guests after 9.30pm – something victim David Ivin was unaware of when he left the hall shortly after for a cigarette.
When he attempted to re-join the party, he was denied entry by Wright and fellow bouncer Martin Barnwell. After a brief argument, the victim was forcefully escorted out of the entrance hall.
Mr Ivin, 36, tried to return again and a minor altercation ensued between him, Barnwell and Wright.
Within seconds the victim was taken to floor face down by Barnwell, while Wright held him in a headlock. The pair held him in this position for about 10 minutes, during which time Wright was heard saying: ‘Stop messing about or I will choke you out’.
When police arrived on the scene, officers received no response when speaking to Mr Ivin. Realising he was unconscious; they attempted to resuscitate the victim and used a defibrillator.
Ambulance staff arrived and took Mr Ivin to hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
A post-mortem revealed he had suffered injuries which were consistent with the application of pressure to the neck.
Wright, 36, of Broomfield Road in Folkestone, and Barnwell, 30, of Grange Road in Ramsgate, were charged with manslaughter.
Following a trial at Canterbury Crown Court, Wright was sentenced to six years imprisonment on Friday 30 May while a jury deliberated for more than 13 hours before acquitting Barnwell.
Investigating officer, Detective Constable Chris Rynston of the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate, said: ‘What started out as an evening to look forward to – a Christmas party with colleagues and friends – ended in a tragic incident.
‘It is clear that Mr Ivin was not made aware of the no re-admittance policy and was therefore upset at not being allowed entry back to the party. After an argument and a brief scuffle, he was forced to the ground and held in what proved to be a lethal neck hold for a considerable length of time.
‘When officers arrived they did all they could do resuscitate the victim, but despite their best efforts they proved unsuccessful.
‘After a thorough investigation, which involved taking a number of detailed accounts and statements from witnesses and those at the party, it became clear that Wright was negligent in his actions. He neither sought help nor checked on Mr Ivin’s wellbeing while keeping him in a neck hold.
‘On behalf of all at Kent Police, our thoughts remain with Mr Ivin’s family at this difficult time.’