Gillingham: Pair Jailed For Kidnap

13 August 2014, 17:51

Two men have been jailed for kidnapping a man in Gillingham and driving him to a remote location before blindfolding and beating him.

Sacha Havelock-Dewaele, 22, and Peter Jenkins, 35, both of Canterbury Street, pleaded guilty to kidnap and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

Havelock-Dewaele also admitted possession of an imitation firearm.

The pair were jailed by a judge at Maidstone Crown Court on 11 August. Havelock-Dewaele was sentenced to five years for kidnap, three years for the firearms offence and three years for the assault, to be served concurrently. Jenkins received a jail term of three years and nine months for the kidnap and two years for the assault, also to be served concurrently.

They had pounced on their target, a Gillingham man in his 30s, in Duncan Road, Gillingham, at around 8pm on 2 April this year.

He was walking along the street before they stopped their Peugeot and snatched him, manhandling him into the car boot of their Peugeot before driving him to marshland.

The pair stopped the car and forced their victim to climb out of the boot before Havelock-Dewaele stuck an imitation gun in his mouth and pistol-whipped him.

Both men then punched and kicked him before forcing a hood over his face and forcing him to walk for some distance while they threatened to kill him. He was then told to walk on and not look back.

During his ordeal, a quantity of cash and a mobile phone was also stolen from the victim, who managed to run to a nearby house and raise the alarm.

Officers attended and arrested both men.

Investigating officer, DC Philip Pead, said: 'This was a terrifying and life-changing experience for the victim, who is still suffering the after-effects of this trauma.

'After having a gun pointed at his face, then being hooded and told to walk into marshland he was convinced he was about to be killed. Havelock-Dewaele and Jenkins were responsible for that terror and showed absolutely no regard for their victim as they beat and tormented him that evening. 

'I welcome the news they will be spending several years behind bars for their actions.’