On Air Now
Heart Breakfast with Jamie Theakston and Amanda Holden 6:30am - 10am
A former army bomb disposal experts has denied trying to murder his pregnant wife in a car explosion near Gravesend
Nicholas Fabian, 33, pleaded not guilty to attempting to murder Victoria Fabian, along with a charge of GBH with intent against her and one of causing an explosion likely to endanger life.
However Fabian, of Highview, Vigo, near Meopham, Kent, admitted a charge of possessing ammunition without a firearms licence - namely 95 rounds of 5.56mm rifle bullets - when he appeared at Maidstone Crown Court.
Prosecutor Graham Reeds QC told the court the charges Fabian originally faced had been amended.
He said the prosecution did not accept his guilty plea to the fourth charge and the case would proceed to trial, which must be delayed as a number of witnesses are in the armed forces and are currently serving in Afghanistan.
Mrs Fabian suffered serious leg injuries in the blast in a residents' car park in Highview in Vigo on March 5, however her unborn child escaped unharmed.
Her eight-year-old son, who was also in the car at the time, was taken to hospital as a precaution but released after being kept in for observation.
Fabian was meant to appear in court in June but the hearing was put back as he attempted suicide while on remand.
He stood in the dock today wearing a black suit and blue shirt flanked by two security guards.
He was remanded in custody to appear at the same court for trial on January 31 next year. The case is expected to last two weeks.