Kemsing: Third Person Dies After M26 Crash
A third person has died following last month's pile-up on a motorway in Kent.
The latest victim is a 54-year-old French man who was driving a Nissan car in the incident on the M26 near Kemsing. He died in hospital yesterday, Kent Police said.
He was the father of Helen Bukola Akande, 22, and Mary Akande, 16, who also lost their lives in the collision.
An inquest into their deaths was opened in Tunbridge Wells yesterday and adjourned until July 23. Both were students and lived in the family home on the outskirts of Paris.
The crash, on the morning of April 16, involved two HGVs, a box van, a Mini and the Nissan.
Inspector Martin Stevens, of Kent Police's serious collision investigation unit, said: "It is with great sadness that we report that the man died overnight in hospital."
Two occupants of the Mini, an adult male and a seven-year-old boy, remain in hospital. The man is recovering while the boy's condition is described as stable.
Mr Stevens added: "A 45-year-old man was arrested in connection with this incident at the time and he remains on bail until August 15. Our inquiries are continuing."
Kent Police said anyone who saw the incident, or the vehicles involved prior to the collision occurring, and who has not yet contacted police should contact the serious collision investigation unit urgently on 01622 798538.
The police added that they were continuing to support the families of the deceased and injured.