Acid Attack: Teen Thanks Wellwishers

10 August 2013, 12:10 | Updated: 10 August 2013, 12:20

One of the London teenagers attacked with acid in Zanzibar has thanked wellwishers for their messages, as the pair continue to recover in hospital.

Katie Gee took to Twitter to say: "Thank you for all your support x".

The student sent the message from Chelsea and Westminster Hospital in London where she and her friend Kirstie Trup, both 18, were receiving treatment for their burns inflicted in an unprovoked attack while they were on a volunteering holiday.

The pair arrived back in the country yesterday and were transferred to the capital's regional burns centre.

Andy Williams, consultant burns and plastic surgeon said: "We can confirm that Katie and Kirstie have been transferred to our care at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital's burns unit where we're still assessing their injuries.

"Both girls are well and their families are with them.

"They will be staying at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital.

"Both families would like to thank everyone that's helped to bring the girls back."

A photograph released by the girls' families showed the injuries one of them suffered in the attack.

The girl is shown wearing an open striped shirt and a silver necklace.

What appear to be acid burns are clearly visible on her chin, neck and upper chest.

One of the girl's injuries are much worse than the other's, it was reported, because helpers used dirty water on her burns.

Five men are being questioned by police on the Indian Ocean island after the women were attacked by men on a motorbike as they walked along a road on Wednesday night.

Mkadam Khamis, regional police commissioner on Zanzibar, told the Daily Telegraph: "There are five people we have, all men, who we are interrogating over this matter this morning.

"They have not yet been arrested. They are co-operating and answering our questions.

"Later today maybe there will be a development legally."

Ms Trup's father, Marc had earlier described the girls as "inconsolable" when he spoke to them after the attack.

They were flown to the Tanzanian capital Dar es Salaam for treatment before being released.

He told the Times: "We couldn't get anything out of them because they had been burned...Both girls are very shocked and very frightened."

Speaking about his daughter, he added: "She can still see and she is not dead. Whatever it is we will cope with it."