Man Killed In Coventry Police Raid Died From Shot To The Chest

8 January 2019, 17:48 | Updated: 8 January 2019, 17:54

Police siren

A man killed in a police operation in the West Midlands died after a single gunshot wound to the chest, the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) said.

Sean Fitzgerald, who lived locally, was killed when police stormed the address and two 26-year-old men were arrested on suspicion of drugs offences.

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) said a single round was discharged by a firearms officer from West Midlands Police, and Mr Fitzgerald was shot as he emerged from the rear of the property.

The 31-year-old died a short time after the incident in Burnaby Road at around 6.20pm on January 4.

Forensic examinations and house-to-house inquiries were carried out by the IOPC and no firearms were recovered from the scene.

Initial witness statements are due to be taken from all police officers who went to the property, including the officer who shot Mr Fitzgerald.

IOPC regional director Derrick Campbell said: "My thoughts are with Mr Fitzgerald's family and friends at what must be an incredibly difficult time for them and all involved.

"Our investigation will focus on the actions and decision-making of the officers involved at the scene and the intelligence provided for the planning and carrying out of the operation.

"At this stage, we have confirmed Mr Fitzgerald was shot once in the chest by a firearms officer."

Mr Campbell continued: "I would like to reassure people this is an independent investigation and we will thoroughly examine all the circumstances and report our findings.

"I would request that everyone shows patience while the investigation progresses.

"Our investigators have spoken to people in Burnaby Road but I would urge anyone who has information about the incident, and in particular any mobile or other footage, to come forward to assist our investigation."

Mr Campbell added: "We have met Mr Fitzgerald's family and have assured them that they will be kept updated."

One man arrested by West Midlands Police was released under investigation and the other man released on police bail.

An inquest into Mr Fitzgerald's death will open on January 10.