On Air Now
Heart's Feel Good Weekend with Lilah Parsons 10pm - 1am
10 January 2019, 15:08
A millionaire's son has appeared in court over the death of girl nine years after a car crash which left her severely disabled.
Antonio Boparan, 31, is charged with causing the death of Cerys Edwards, nine, by dangerous driving.
She was left paralysed and brain damaged after a crash in 2006, when she was 11 months old, and a post-mortem found her death in October 2015 was "a result of the collision".
Boparan, of Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham, who appeared at Birmingham Magistrates' Court on Thursday afternoon, was allegedly driving a Range Rover Sport involved in the crash.
He was charged by postal requisition in December last year after a criminal case review was launched following the post-mortem results.
He appeared in the dock with short hair and stubble, wearing a navy suit, white shirt and waistcoat and spoke only to confirm his name, address and date of birth.
Chair of the bench Christopher Beesley told Boparan, represented by Jim Sturman QC, to take his hands out of his pockets before the brief hearing began.
Cerys died one month before her 10th birthday, after the crash left her needing round-the-clock care and a ventilator to breathe.
Speaking after her death, her father, Gareth Edwards, said his daughter could "melt the heart of anyone" and "never complained" despite her injuries.
Mr Beesley granted Boparan unconditional bail ahead of an appearance at Birmingham Crown Court on February 7.