On Air Now
Heart's Feel Good Weekend with Dev Griffin 12pm - 4pm
1 July 2019, 18:30 | Updated: 1 July 2019, 18:33
Warwickshire Police are waiting to hear if the suspected MDMA was a bad batch.
A teenage boy has died and four others were taken to hospital after reportedly taking MDMA.
Warwickshire Police said a 17-year-old boy suffered a cardiac arrest after an incident in the early hours of Sunday morning and later died in hospital.
Officers were called to a property in Wetherby Way, Stratford, where it is believed the five boys took a type of MDMA called "Mandy".
The four other teenage boys who were taken to hospital have since been discharged, the force said.
Two 17-year-old boys have been arrested on suspicion of possession of class A drugs with intent to supply.
Police said one of the suspects, from Bidford-on-Avon, remains in custody and the other, from Stratford, has been released under investigation.
Detective Inspector Lisa Sears, from Warwickshire Police, said: "Our thoughts are with the family of the deceased.
"At this time, we believe the boys may have taken a type of a drug called 'Mandy', a type of MDMA (also known as ecstasy).
"We are keeping an open mind as to whether this was a bad batch of drugs, a bad reaction or an overdose."
Ms Sears continued: "While we are investigating to establish how the boy died we would urge local drug users to be very cautious.
"While we can't yet confirm cause of death, we would like to remind people of the dangers of taking drugs.
"There is no safe way of taking drugs, and no way of knowing exactly what you are putting into your body and whether it is safe."