Dogs fall ill after apparently ingesting poison in Glasgow park

8 April 2019, 13:11

SSPCA Scotland animals

The Scottish SPCA is warning dog owners to be vigilant after three dogs apparently ingested poison in Alexandra Park in Glasgow.

This comes just days after the charity appealed for information after dog biscuits were found laced with nails in Anderston.

The charity was alerted by a dog walker who had to seek urgent treatment for the animals in his care after finding food smelling strongly of household cleaner.

Inspector Stacey Erwin said, "We were alerted to the incident by a dog walker who was concerned three dogs in his care may have ingested poison.

"The person who called found foodstuff, which appeared to be cheese and chicken, smelling very strongly of cleaning products, which could have been antifreeze.

"The dogs were immediately taken for the necessary emergency treatment. Thankfully, they have since been discharged.

"This is the second attempt to deliberately harm or kill an animal in Glasgow within days of each other. This is a criminal offence and Police Scotland have been made aware.

"We would urge everyone to be extra vigilant and to report anything suspicious to Police Scotland on 101."