EasyJet plane searched by police at Glasgow Airport after security alert

30 April 2019, 12:18 | Updated: 30 April 2019, 12:20

Glasgow airport security alert

Police are searching a plane at Glasgow Airport after a security incident involving a flight from London.

All flights to and from the terminal were temporarily suspended after the alarm was raised by the crew about an issue at 10.25am.

It involved an easyJet flight from Gatwick Airport.

A Police Scotland spokeswoman said: "All the passengers and crew members have disembarked from a plane which is currently being searched by police following a security alert reported by the crew of a flight at Glasgow Airport.

"Officers and the other emergency services are in attendance."

Flights have since returned to being operational but police remain at the scene.

There have been no reports of any injuries.

An easyJet spokeswoman said: "easyJet can confirm that passengers on flight EZY883 from London Gatwick to Glasgow were delayed disembarking on arrival in Glasgow, purely as a precaution, due to additional security checks.

"The passengers have been disembarked and taken into the terminal.

"The safety and security of its passengers and crew is always easyJet's highest priority and we would like to thank passengers for their understanding."

Pictures emerged on social media of passengers being "dumped" in a room, with complaints they were not being given any information.

James Gale had been on the flight and told Press Association Scotland they had not been made aware of any incident until after landing.

He described the atmosphere as being "calm" on board the aircraft.

The 21-year-old from Brighton said: "The captain just said we were waiting for a stand and I found out (about the security alert) from Twitter.

"We stopped and there was an announcement to say there's an incident on our plane."

"They're handing out water but we've been on the ground since 10.12am and still doesn't seem to be moving anywhere."

A Glasgow Airport spokesman said: "At 10.25am, emergency services attended an arriving easyJet flight from Gatwick following reports of a security alert on board.

"Operations were temporarily suspended until the incident was stood down and normal operations resumed after 22 minutes."