Teenagers jailed for machete attack

17 May 2019, 14:02 | Updated: 17 May 2019, 14:06

machete men jailed

The victim recieved 8 wounds to his legs and suffered serious blood loss in Longbridge 2 years ago

A West Midlands Police officer has been commended for his quick-thinking that led to the arrest of two teenagers who’d attacked a rival with a machete.

The cop – part of the Birmingham Organised Crime Unit – was carrying out enquiries at Longbridge job centre when he heard screaming outside and found a crowd gathered round a 16-year-old who’d suffered deep slash wounds to his legs.

He called in an armed unit patrolling nearby to carry out emergency fast aid before tracking down CCTV footage that showed the student being marched across a car-park to a grassed area...and the offenders returning moments later without their victim. 

The teenager staggered into Tessall Lane where he collapsed having suffered significant blood loss from eight knife wounds. 

Suspecting the attack was gang related, the officer directed response colleagues to search key locations in the local area − and minutes later they stopped Sadiki Richardson and Delayni Woodcock, both aged 18 but who were 16 at the time, in Longbridge Lane. Richardson was found still carrying the bloodstained machete and both were arrested. 

At Birmingham Crown Court on Monday (13 May) Richardson, from Hollybank Road, Kings Heath, was jailed for eight years four months while Woodcock, from Brockworth Road in Druids Heath, was sentenced to 10 years eight months. 

Richardson admitted wounding but Woodcock was found guilty following a trial.

The officer, who has asked to remain anonymous, later received a commendation from the force for his efforts on the morning of 13 September 2017.

Inspector Al Teague from the Birmingham Organised Crime Unit, said: “The judge praised the officer’s work on the day and said had it not been for his swift intervention the victim could have died and the offenders escaped.

“This was a vicious attack which we believed was as a result of an argument shortly before. The student suffered very serious slash wounds and there were fears his injuries could have been life threatening at the time.

“The officer knows the area well and through his line of work has a good understanding of where people with gang links operate. We soon had the suspects in custody and they have rightly been handed very long custodial sentences.

“These are young men who were just 16-years-old at the time. They will now be spending many years away from society and have seriously jeopardised their life prospects – it should act as a warning to anyone who thinks getting involved with gangs is an attractive proposition.”

Investigating officer, Detective Constable Michelle Woolgrove, said the young victim showed tremendous bravery in speaking out and that his testimony helped secure a conviction.

She added: “He has the physical scars for life but is also being helped to overcome the psychological impact of being involved in such a shocking incident. 

“He is on a very long road to recovery but hearing the sentences passed on these two offenders is a great starting point. I wish him and his family my best wishes for the future.”