Luton street closures for improvements
4 July 2019, 12:55 | Updated: 4 July 2019, 12:57
Luton Council are carrying out a series of improvements this summer on some of the town's worst carriageways, as part of its investment in roads programme.
The authority says the main roads in Luton are generally in a good condition however around 23% of residential roads require work.
Carriageway resurfacing, which will take place during July and August, involves the removal of old worn out layers which are then replaced with new material with an expected life span of up to 20 years.
As well as a programme of road resurfacing, the council will be undertaking surface treatment works called micro asphalt.
This process prevents potholes forming and is designed to seal road surfaces that have not deteriorated to the point where the road surface needs to be dug up. It is applied over the existing road surface and can take a few weeks to weather and bed in by road users.
As part of the programme the council is also carrying out deep cleaning of gullies in some problematic roads which have built up because of lack of access due to parked cars.
Partial closure of the following roads for repairs:
- Selbourne Road (Wingate Road – Conway Road) 8-13 July (8am to 6pm)
- Gypsy Lane (Slip Road from New Airport Way to Gypsy Lane) 19 July (8pm to 5am)
- Northwell drive junction with Lygetun Drive – 30 July-2 August (8am to 6pm)
- Northwell drive junction with Whitehorse Vale – 5-9 August (8am to 6pm)
- New Bedford Road (Busway – Gordon Street) 9 August (8pm-5am)
- Bramingham Road (Northwell Drive roundabout) 12-13 August (8am to 6pm)
- Bramingham Road (Wauluds Bank Drive roundabout) 14-15 August (8am-6pm)
- Durham Road (Blaydon Road – Devon Road) 21-22 August (8am-6pm)
- Wellington Street (Upper George Street – Stuart Street) 23 August (8am-6pm)
- Stoneygate Road (Dunstable road – Challney Close) 27 August (8am-6pm)
These roads will be fully closed for repairs:
- Grantham Road – 4 July
- Claremont Road – 4 July
- Maidenhall Road – 5 July
- Welbury Avenue – 6 July
- Grasmere Road – 6 July
- Newark Road – 7 to 8 July
- Maryport Road – 9 July
- Douglas Road – 9 July
- Dewsbury Rd inc Catherall Road & Spurs – 10 to 12 July
- Laburnum Close – 15 July
- Bretts Mead - 15 July (8am to 6pm)
- Mount Pleasant Road - 15-18 July (8am to 6pm)
- Grasmere Avenue – 15 July
- Derwent Avenue – 16 July
- Gooseberry Hill – 16 July
- Laburnum Grove – 17 July
- Warren Road - 22-24 July (8am to 6pm)
- Brantwood Road - 25-26 July (8am to 6pm)
- Bodmin Road - 29 July (8am to 6pm)
- Regents Street - 16 August (8pm to 5am)
- Belper Road - 19 to 20 August (8am to 6pm)