When do cinemas reopen in England?
10 May 2021, 14:47
Will cinemas reopen on May 17? Find out everything we know about when they will open and what the rules will be.
Later today (May 10), Boris Johnson is expected to confirm that the planned third stage of lockdown-easing will go ahead on May 17.
Read more: When do soft plays reopen in England?
Pubs and restaurants (indoors), soft plays, and cinemas are among the businesses that will be able to operate again at this time.
Here's your need-to-know on the rules for cinemas...
Are cinemas open?
Cinemas in England are still closed, and are due to reopen in the next stage of lockdown-lifting.
What date will cinemas open?
Cinemas are due to reopen on May 17.
In line with government guidance, businesses reopening at stage three "include indoor entertainment venues such as cinemas and children’s play areas; the rest of the accommodation sector, including hotels, hostels and B&Bs; and indoor adult group sports and exercise classes."
Read more: When are gym classes allowed in England?
What films will be released on May 17?
The following is a list of films due for release on that date:
- The Courier
- Sound of Metal
- Peter Rabbit 2
What else will be allowed from May 17?
The following will be allowed from that date:
- Indoor hospitality, with no requirement for a substantial meal to be served alongside alcoholic drinks, and no curfew. The requirement to order, eat and drink while seated (‘table service’) will remain
- 30 person limit outdoors - rule of six will apply indoors (subject to conditions)
- International travel may be allowed (subject to conditions)
- Remaining outdoor entertainment, such as outdoor theatres and cinemas can open
- Indoor entertainment, such as museums, cinemas and children’s play area can open
- Remaining accommodation, such as hotels, hostels and B&Bs will be allowed to operate
- Adult indoor group sports and exercise classes
- Some large events, including conferences, theatre and concert performances and sports events
- Significant life events allowed up to 30 people