On Air Now
Heart's Club Classics with Toby Anstis 7pm - 10pm
10 March 2021, 11:28 | Updated: 10 March 2021, 11:33
A teenage girl from Queensland spotted the snake poking out the top of her inhaler.
A girl from Australia was horrified to find a venomous red-bellied black snake hidden inside her asthma inhaler.
The teenager, who hails from Bli Bli, Queensland, first saw the snake when it slithered out of her clean washing she'd just brought inside.
However, she wasn't sure what became of it until she spotted it poking out of her inhaler some time later.
Facebook group Sunshine Coast Snake Catchers 24/7 shared the story on their page, revealing that they were able to catch and safely re-home the snake.
They wrote: "You would not believe this... at a home in Bli Bli a teenaged girl got the surprise of her life. She brought the washing in and as she put it on the floor of the bedroom, she saw a dark coloured Snake came out of the clothing.
"When Heather arrived she found a baby Red Bellied Black Snake inside of the girls Asthma Inhaler.
"This is crazy and super lucky we were able to find the snake. It’s one of the most incredible places we have ever found a snake before and glad Heather was able to catch and relocate it safely."
Baby Red Belly inside Kids Asthma Puffer You would not believe this... at a home in Bli Bli a teenaged girl got the...Posted by Sunshine Coast Snake Catchers 24/7 on Sunday, March 7, 2021
Team member Stuart McKenzie also told 9News: "It’s one of the most incredible places we have ever found a snake before. I couldn’t imagine what it would be like picking it up and discovering it in there."
He added that - while the snake was still young - it could still bite if scared, adding: ‘They are just exploring, seeking food this time of year before it gets cold again.
"We’ve found them in all sorts of places. Just recently we had a snake become stuck inside the tubing of a screen door."
Red-bellied snakes are found on the east coast of Australia, and are responsible for a number of bites each year.
While no human deaths have been recorded, symptoms of their venom include bleeding, vomiting, abdominal pain, and headaches.