Martin Lewis shares Black Friday advice and deals to help save thousands
17 November 2023, 12:50
Martin Lewis has warned people to be careful with Black Friday deals, offering a very important piece of advice.
Listen to this article
Martin Lewis, best known as The Money Saving Expert, has issued advice to people shopping Black Friday deals.
While Black Friday doesn't arrive until 24th November, deals are already being advertised by retailers as people look to get the best deal on their shopping.
As the deals roll out and Black Friday approaches, Martin has given everyone one very important memo to follow when shopping.
- Listen now on Global Player, the official Heart app: Married At First Sight podcast with Yasmin Evans
Appearing on the Martin Lewis Money Show Live this week, he said: "If you were going to buy it anyway and it is half price you've saved 50 per cent. If you weren't going to buy it but do because it's half price you've wasted 100 per cent, so be careful".
In other words, unless you were going to buy it anyway, don't just buy something because it is discounted.
- Martin Lewis fans 'haven't used the heating' since buying wearable blanket
- Martin Lewis issues urgent warning for those repaying student loans
- Martin Lewis energy tip: Is it cheaper to leave heating on low?
He made it clear on the show that while he would be talking about Black Friday deals, he was not encouraging people to shop but to just get the best deal on something they had already planned to purchase.
He added: "Black Friday started in the UK in 2010 and got really popular around 2015. Before that we had loads of deals across November and December and then it consatinad into Black Friday. Now what's happened this year is they've spread out again and they're all called Black Friday deals."
Martin Lewis issues warning over Black Friday shopping
During the show, the money expert also shared his favourite deals on the market right now - ahead of 24th November - which he called Grey Friday Deals.
These are the best deals Martin said he has found across retailers during the lead-up to the big day:
- Up to 40% off thousands of items
- Up to 50% off everything
- Up to 50% off selected items (for members)
- Up to 65% off (for members)
- Up to £100 off selected items
- Up to £150 off selected items
- Up to £300 off devices
- Up to 70% off selected home and fashion
- Up to 30% off off selected items
- 25% off most items
- Martin Lewis' Money Saving Experts share top gas and electricity bill tips for 2023
- Martin Lewis' Money Saving Experts reveal how to save on your supermarket shop
- Martin Lewis halts Good Morning Britain as widow's letter brings him to tears