Is Claire Sweeney in Coronation Street? Her new role explained
17 August 2023, 11:22
Actress Claire Sweeney has joined the cast of Coronation Street.
Listen to this article
- Listen on Global Player: Spencer & Vogue. Spencer Matthews and Vogue Williams let you know what they’re doing, thinking, and disagreeing on every week
Who does Claire Sweeney play in Coronation Street and what is the character's relationship with Tyrone?
Who does Claire Sweeney play in Coronation Street?
Claire Sweeney plays Cassandra 'Cassie' Plummer in Coronation Street, the long-lost mother of Tyrone Dobbs.
The mechanic grew up believing his mother was Jackie Dobbs, however after investigating his family history, Tyrone discovered his maternal grandmother was Evleyn Plummer.
Tyrone was told by Evelyn that Cassie had died of a drug overdose, however with Cassie arriving in Weatherfield alive, this will undoubtedly cause tension in the family.
- Coronation Street: Is Lucy Fallon returning as Bethany Platt?
- Brookside legend Claire Sweeney looks unrecognisable as she joins cast of Coronation Street
What happened to Cassie in Coronation Street?
After a troubled past, Cassie is keen to move forward with her son Tyrone.
Cassie's backstory involves leaving Tyrone at a police station after she was unable to care for him due to her addiction to drugs.
The character is still struggling with her drug habit and in her first episode, Cassie stole Evelyn's purse, leading her mother to believe her daughter had relapsed.
What does Claire Sweeney think of Coronation Street?
When it was announced that Claire Sweeney would be joining Coronation Street, the TV star said: "I never dreamed Corrie. Iain [Macleod, Corrie executive producer] has given me a chance.
"It just takes that one person to believe in you and go 'yeah, you can do it. Give her a chance.' And I'm so grateful for that."
She went on to add: "I’m a single mum, to my eight year old son Jackson and my decisions are not only based on the love of what I do, they are based on stability for me and my son.
"I’m 52 years of age now and for this, not only is it the best soap for me, not only is she a wonderful part, working with Maureen and Alan and all these wonderful people, the had for stability."
- Inside Coronation Street star Georgia May Foote’s lavish wedding
- Coronation Street fans devastated as Peter Barlow star Chris Gascoyne quits after 23 years
- Coronation Street's Julie Goodyear diagnosed with dementia